MBA Profile Evaluation for 2022 Intake
Job Switch | Impact on MBA Admissions 2023

Hi,

Request you to help me evaluate whether a new job would be beneficial to my MBA journey.

Profile:
Dual Degree from Top 5 IITs, GPA: 7.92/10
I have a three-year gap in my profile due to the UPSC exam.
Post this, I joined the top 3 valued startups in India as Assistant Manager - Category Operations in the International division for 2 years.
I currently work in a B2B startup as a program manager for the last 6 months.

Goals: 1 year MBA for 2023 admit preferably in a school focusing on tech.
Long-term goal: technology/product-based venture on my own.

I have currently received an offer from an early-stage startup with just seed funding to be part of their core team.

But I am scared that this might look on my resume like I jumped between jobs without direction since my job description of my new job is very similar to my current job.

How should I be considering this job along with my MBA journey?

Hi, Request you to help me evaluate whether a new job would be beneficial to my MBA journey. Profile: Dual Degree from Top 5 IITs, GPA: 7.92/10 I have a three-year gap in my profile due to the UPSC exam. Post this, I joined the top 3 valued startups in India as Assistant Manager - Category Operations in the International division for 2 years. I currently work in a B2B startup as a program manager for the last 6 months. Goals: 1 year MBA for 2023 admit preferably in a school focusing on tech. Long-term goal: technology/product-based venture on my own. I have currently received an offer from an early-stage startup with just seed funding to be part of their core team. But I am scared that this might look on my resume like I jumped between jobs without direction since my job description of my new job is very similar to my current job. How should I be considering this job along with my MBA journey?

Thanks for reaching out @CaptainJoy_1992

Dual Degree from Top 5 IITs, GPA: 7.92/10
I have a three-year gap in my profile due to the UPSC exam.
Post this, I joined the top 3 valued startups in India as Assistant Manager - Category Operations in the International division for 2 years.
I currently work in a B2B startup as a program manager for the last 6 months.

Good GPA and Pedigree. We will need to figure out a way to showcase how you productively utilized the three year gap. Your work experience is consistent across startups, and thats good smile

Goals: 1 year MBA for 2023 admit preferably in a school focusing on tech.
Long-term goal: technology/product-based venture on my own.

Most of the top programs have a strong focus on tech. I would also keep it open to explore top 2-yr MBA's

I have currently received an offer from an early-stage startup with just seed funding to be part of their core team.

But I am scared that this might look on my resume like I jumped between jobs without direction since my job description of my new job is very similar to my current job.

How should I be considering this job along with my MBA journey?

In ideal world, leaving within six months from current job definately isn't recommended. However, it depends on whether you're enjoying your current role, how it aligns to your long term goals, growth prospects in the current role v/s new role etc.

Another point to consider is recommendations --> whether you'll be able to secure good recos from your current role or do you forsee the new job to be more conducive for getting good recos. Also, have the Managers in your current role or new job graduated from any of the top B-Schools that you're targeting. Hope this helps, wish you the best smile

Thanks for reaching out @CaptainJoy_1992 > Dual Degree from Top 5 IITs, GPA: 7.92/10 I have a three-year gap in my profile due to the UPSC exam. Post this, I joined the top 3 valued startups in India as Assistant Manager - Category Operations in the International division for 2 years. I currently work in a B2B startup as a program manager for the last 6 months. Good GPA and Pedigree. We will need to figure out a way to showcase how you productively utilized the three year gap. Your work experience is consistent across startups, and thats good :) >Goals: 1 year MBA for 2023 admit preferably in a school focusing on tech. Long-term goal: technology/product-based venture on my own. Most of the top programs have a strong focus on tech. I would also keep it open to explore top 2-yr MBA's >I have currently received an offer from an early-stage startup with just seed funding to be part of their core team. >But I am scared that this might look on my resume like I jumped between jobs without direction since my job description of my new job is very similar to my current job. >How should I be considering this job along with my MBA journey? In ideal world, leaving within six months from current job definately isn't recommended. However, it depends on whether you're enjoying your current role, how it aligns to your long term goals, growth prospects in the current role v/s new role etc. Another point to consider is recommendations --> whether you'll be able to secure good recos from your current role or do you forsee the new job to be more conducive for getting good recos. Also, have the Managers in your current role or new job graduated from any of the top B-Schools that you're targeting. Hope this helps, wish you the best :)
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft