BSchool Application Questions
Job switch - impact on MBA profile for 2022
Poll: Should I leave a Fortune 15 brand for an interesting role at a startup?
Yes
No

Should I take this job offer keeping 2022 MBA applications in mind?

Requesting you to please help me out plan a better MBA application. Any advice can be really helpful.

Profile : Indian, Banking/Finance, targeting M7, GPA - 7.4(absolute scale),

I'm currently working as an Assistant Manager - Analytics in a Fortune 15 firm since 3 years in India. Prior to that 9 months in an Indian unicorn as MT. Graduated from IIT (not the old 5) with a gold medal in a life-sciences engineering branch.

Goals:
1 year MBAs for 2022 admit.
Currently have a job offer in hand that is giving me a Product experience lead role in a B2B firm (valuation 300cr, 15 year old) and will be working directly under CXOs. I am very interested in a career in Product management right now or post MBA in Management Consulting(couldn't get into it after undergrad and MBA will open doors for it).

Long term goal is to lead digital transformation in firms with product and data-mindset. Open own venture with the next big idea (had 2-3 ideas in the past, made B-plans, but chickened out of execution due to financial risk)

Question - Does this new interesting role at a startup-ish org look better on resume than an Assistant Manager at Fortune 15 (high chance of not getting promoted to manager by the time of applications)?

The role looks very interesting to me (product strategy, stakeholder management, combines my data background to product experiences and interest) so I really want a quick 1 to 1.5 year stint here before applying for MBAs. But will it make me look as a job hopper? Will the unknown startup brand soil the Fortune 15 brand on the resume for an the adcom member?

Thank you

**Should I take this job offer keeping 2022 MBA applications in mind?** Requesting you to please help me out plan a better MBA application. Any advice can be really helpful. **Profile** : Indian, Banking/Finance, targeting M7, GPA - 7.4(absolute scale), I'm currently working as an Assistant Manager - Analytics in a Fortune 15 firm since 3 years in India. Prior to that 9 months in an Indian unicorn as MT. Graduated from IIT (not the old 5) with a gold medal in a life-sciences engineering branch. **Goals:** 1 year MBAs for 2022 admit. Currently have a job offer in hand that is giving me a Product experience lead role in a B2B firm (valuation 300cr, 15 year old) and will be working directly under CXOs. I am very interested in a career in Product management right now or post MBA in Management Consulting(couldn't get into it after undergrad and MBA will open doors for it). Long term goal is to lead digital transformation in firms with product and data-mindset. Open own venture with the next big idea (had 2-3 ideas in the past, made B-plans, but chickened out of execution due to financial risk) **Question** - Does this new interesting role at a startup-ish org look better on resume than an Assistant Manager at Fortune 15 (high chance of not getting promoted to manager by the time of applications)? The role looks very interesting to me (product strategy, stakeholder management, combines my data background to product experiences and interest) so I really want a quick 1 to 1.5 year stint here before applying for MBAs. But will it make me look as a job hopper? Will the unknown startup brand soil the Fortune 15 brand on the resume for an the adcom member? Thank you

@jackofall thanks for reaching out. Happy to smile

Profile : Indian, Banking/Finance, targeting M7, GPA - 7.4(absolute scale),

I'm currently working as an Assistant Manager - Analytics in a Fortune 15 firm since 3 years in India. Prior to that 9 months in an Indian unicorn as MT. Graduated from IIT (not the old 5) with a gold medal in a life-sciences engineering branch.

Solid GPA, with good undergrad and workex pedigree. Gold Medal stands out smile

You should still aim for a 750+ GMAT for M7

Goals:
1 year MBAs for 2022 admit.
Currently have a job offer in hand that is giving me a Product experience lead role in a B2B firm (valuation 300cr, 15 year old) and will be working directly under CXOs. I am very interested in a career in Product management right now or post MBA in Management Consulting(couldn't get into it after undergrad and MBA will open doors for it).

Long term goal is to lead digital transformation in firms with product and data-mindset. Open own venture with the next big idea (had 2-3 ideas in the past, made B-plans, but chickened out of execution due to financial risk)

Question - Does this new interesting role at a startup-ish org look better on resume than an Assistant Manager at Fortune 15 (high chance of not getting promoted to manager by the time of applications)?

The role looks very interesting to me (product strategy, stakeholder management, combines my data background to product experiences and interest) so I really want a quick 1 to 1.5 year stint here before applying for MBAs. But will it make me look as a job hopper? Will the unknown startup brand soil the Fortune 15 brand on the resume for an the adcom member?

Good question. If a promotion is just around the corner in the FOrtune 15 firm, I'd say wait get the promotion and them move. Else, having a combination of large Corporate + Startup expereince will make you a much more well-rounded candidate, especially since the startup expereince is more well aligned to your short/long-term goals. Moving after 3 years doesn't make you a job hopper.

Hope this helps. Wish you the best !

@jackofall thanks for reaching out. Happy to ]:) > Profile : Indian, Banking/Finance, targeting M7, GPA - 7.4(absolute scale), > I'm currently working as an Assistant Manager - Analytics in a Fortune 15 firm since 3 years in India. Prior to that 9 months in an Indian unicorn as MT. Graduated from IIT (not the old 5) with a gold medal in a life-sciences engineering branch. Solid GPA, with good undergrad and workex pedigree. Gold Medal stands out :) You should still aim for a 750+ GMAT for M7 >Goals: 1 year MBAs for 2022 admit. Currently have a job offer in hand that is giving me a Product experience lead role in a B2B firm (valuation 300cr, 15 year old) and will be working directly under CXOs. I am very interested in a career in Product management right now or post MBA in Management Consulting(couldn't get into it after undergrad and MBA will open doors for it). >Long term goal is to lead digital transformation in firms with product and data-mindset. Open own venture with the next big idea (had 2-3 ideas in the past, made B-plans, but chickened out of execution due to financial risk) >Question - Does this new interesting role at a startup-ish org look better on resume than an Assistant Manager at Fortune 15 (high chance of not getting promoted to manager by the time of applications)? >The role looks very interesting to me (product strategy, stakeholder management, combines my data background to product experiences and interest) so I really want a quick 1 to 1.5 year stint here before applying for MBAs. But will it make me look as a job hopper? Will the unknown startup brand soil the Fortune 15 brand on the resume for an the adcom member? Good question. If a promotion is just around the corner in the FOrtune 15 firm, I'd say wait get the promotion and them move. Else, having a combination of large Corporate + Startup expereince will make you a much more well-rounded candidate, especially since the startup expereince is more well aligned to your short/long-term goals. Moving after 3 years doesn't make you a job hopper. Hope this helps. Wish you the best !
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft