MBA profile evalaution for 2021 intake
Profile Evaluation for US MBA Programs

Request you to please evaluate my profile based on details below. Do let let me know if any specific details are missing which can help with this evaluation.
I appreciate any help, and would like to thank you in advance!

BACKGROUND:
Indian IT Male 27 years old
Schools: M7 T10 (Need advice on the schools I should target)
Profile: Software tech entrepreneur
Interested in: Full time 2Y MBA, joint MSCS-MBA programs
Short term goals - roles at the intersection of business strategy, product and technology management in tech startups
Long term goals - start my own B2B software technology company, possibly something to do with enterprise digital transformation using AI

ACADEMICS:
B.Tech. Computer Science from one of the old IITs
CGPA 7.55/10
GMAT - 770/800 Q50, V45, IR8

WORK EXPERIENCE:
Total 64 months (Dec 2020). All in India.

1. 32 months as software engineer at F500 financial services company (campus placement). Fast promotion (1 of 3 in ~200 at same position with same experience), awards for Innovation and Excellence

2. 3 months as remote software engineer at US based Machine Learning enterprise search startup

3. 15 months as CTO(not founder) at a social e-commerce tech startup in Delhi This was probably the turning point in my career. Took a CTO role at an early stage startup as the only software engineer with an 80% pay cut and significant equity. Made a small, but noticeable dent in the influencer marketing driven e-commerce space, grew tech team to 5 (post the angel funding round), the startup raised close to $1 million funds over 2 rounds from reputed angels and VC. Quit due to differences in opinion with founders over significantly lesser spending on growing the tech team and improving the product and technology (than was agreed pre-funding). Personally lost 75% equity which was unvested at the time, as well as there was the opportunity cost of taking just bare minimum salary for over a year. Took a big financial hit while quitting - didn't have much cash left even though I had close to 4 years of experience in the "lucrative" software engineering job function - since I had also sponsored the engineering education of a younger first cousin (contributed $20k - almost 15 months of savings from the F500 job), but I didn't believe in building a tech company without necessary investment in the technology and hence quit. I am still very close to my direct reports though, since hiring them and working with them was an integral part of my first leadership experience, and try to perform the role of a career coach and mentor in whatever ways I can - networking, skills development, interview practice etc. Helped 2 of them land very well paid tech jobs at prestigious Indian startups during a tough Covid market when this one went bust a year after I had quit.

4. Current role - 14 months as VP Engineering at B2B Enterprise software startup
    Software specifically targeted for Pharmaceutical enterprises. Leading software engineering function at the startup, grew tech team to 8 people, delivered software for F500 (1) as well as top Indian (5) pharma clients. Startup raised over $1 million from a reputed VC.

EXTRACURRICULARS:
Post College

• Member of Cricket team at first job, participated in various club/corporate matches
  • Participated in a few scattered volunteer activities, nothing consistent

College

• Lead a top campus cultural club
  • Editor at college technology magazine
  • Taught underprivileged kids math and science for 1 year
  • 4th(out of ~5000) at a national IT competition organized by Deloitte
Request you to please evaluate my profile based on details below. Do let let me know if any specific details are missing which can help with this evaluation. I appreciate any help, and would like to thank you in advance! BACKGROUND: Indian IT Male 27 years old Schools: M7 T10 (Need advice on the schools I should target) Profile: Software tech entrepreneur Interested in: Full time 2Y MBA, joint MSCS-MBA programs Short term goals - roles at the intersection of business strategy, product and technology management in tech startups Long term goals - start my own B2B software technology company, possibly something to do with enterprise digital transformation using AI ACADEMICS: B.Tech. Computer Science from one of the old IITs CGPA 7.55/10 GMAT - 770/800 Q50, V45, IR8 WORK EXPERIENCE: Total 64 months (Dec 2020). All in India. 1. **32 months as software engineer at F500** financial services company (campus placement). Fast promotion (1 of 3 in ~200 at same position with same experience), awards for Innovation and Excellence 2. **3 months as remote software engineer** at US based Machine Learning enterprise search startup 3. **15 months as CTO(not founder) at a social e-commerce tech startup in Delhi** This was probably the turning point in my career. Took a CTO role at an early stage startup as the only software engineer with an 80% pay cut and significant equity. Made a small, but noticeable dent in the influencer marketing driven e-commerce space, grew tech team to 5 (post the angel funding round), the startup raised close to $1 million funds over 2 rounds from reputed angels and VC. Quit due to differences in opinion with founders over significantly lesser spending on growing the tech team and improving the product and technology (than was agreed pre-funding). Personally lost 75% equity which was unvested at the time, as well as there was the opportunity cost of taking just bare minimum salary for over a year. Took a big financial hit while quitting - didn't have much cash left even though I had close to 4 years of experience in the "lucrative" software engineering job function - since I had also sponsored the engineering education of a younger first cousin (contributed $20k - almost 15 months of savings from the F500 job), but I didn't believe in building a tech company without necessary investment in the technology and hence quit. I am still very close to my direct reports though, since hiring them and working with them was an integral part of my first leadership experience, and try to perform the role of a career coach and mentor in whatever ways I can - networking, skills development, interview practice etc. Helped 2 of them land very well paid tech jobs at prestigious Indian startups during a tough Covid market when this one went bust a year after I had quit. - **Current role - 14 months as VP Engineering** at B2B Enterprise software startup Software specifically targeted for Pharmaceutical enterprises. Leading software engineering function at the startup, grew tech team to 8 people, delivered software for F500 (1) as well as top Indian (5) pharma clients. Startup raised over $1 million from a reputed VC. EXTRACURRICULARS: Post College - Member of Cricket team at first job, participated in various club/corporate matches - Participated in a few scattered volunteer activities, nothing consistent College - Lead a top campus cultural club - Editor at college technology magazine - Taught underprivileged kids math and science for 1 year - 4th(out of ~5000) at a national IT competition organized by Deloitte
edited Dec 13 '20 at 6:07 pm

Thanks for reaching out @imitstartup Happy to!

ACADEMICS:
B.Tech. Computer Science from one of the old IITs
CGPA 7.55/10
GMAT - 770/800 Q50, V45, IR8

Solid GMAT! GPA above 7, so all good. I'm assuming you'll have good extra-curriculars as well since you're from one of the older IITs

WORK EXPERIENCE:
Total 64 months (Dec 2020). All in India.

32 months as software engineer at F500 financial services company (campus placement). Fast promotion (1 of 3 in ~200 at same position with same experience), awards for Innovation and Excellence

3 months as remote software engineer at US based Machine Learning enterprise search startup

15 months as CTO(not founder) at a social e-commerce tech startup in Delhi This was probably the turning point in my career. Took a CTO role at an early stage startup as the only software engineer with an 80% pay cut and significant equity. Made a small, but noticeable dent in the influencer marketing driven e-commerce space, grew tech team to 5 (post the angel funding round), the startup raised close to $1 million funds over 2 rounds from reputed angels and VC. Quit due to differences in opinion with founders over significantly lesser spending on growing the tech team and improving the product and technology (than was agreed pre-funding). Personally lost 75% equity which was unvested at the time, as well as there was the opportunity cost of taking just bare minimum salary for over a year. Took a big financial hit while quitting - didn't have much cash left even though I had close to 4 years of experience in the "lucrative" software engineering job function - since I had also sponsored the engineering education of a younger first cousin (contributed $20k - almost 15 months of savings from the F500 job), but I didn't believe in building a tech company without necessary investment in the technology and hence quit. I am still very close to my direct reports though, since hiring them and working with them was an integral part of my first leadership experience, and try to perform the role of a career coach and mentor in whatever ways I can - networking, skills development, interview practice etc. Helped 2 of them land very well paid tech jobs at prestigious Indian startups during a tough Covid market when this one went bust a year after I had quit.

Current role - 14 months as VP Engineering at B2B Enterprise software startup
Software specifically targeted for Pharmaceutical enterprises. Leading software engineering function at the startup, grew tech team to 8 people, delivered software for F500 (1) as well as top Indian (5) pharma clients. Startup raised over $1 million from a reputed VC.

Solid workex. Is a bit on higher end, Generally the accepted range is 36 - 72months (although exceptions do exist). I'd highly encourage you to try and apply this year in R2 for MBA starting Aug 2021. Your story as CTO of social e-commerce tech startup in Delhi stands out. Giving up 75% equity to stand by your values take a lot of guts. This can be material for some very insightful essay stories. Curious if there are promotions in your roles at F500 and US based enterprise search startup or promotion in the current role. With your level of expereince AdCom will expect promotional path, ideally within the same company where you won trust of your superiors.

EXTRACURRICULARS:
Post College

Member of Cricket team at first job, participated in various club/corporate matches
Participated in a few scattered volunteer activities, nothing consistent
College

Lead a top campus cultural club
Editor at college technology magazine
Taught underprivileged kids math and science for 1 year
4th(out of ~5000) at a national IT competition organized by Deloitte

Social aspect seems a bit weak. Suggest you find a consistent theme for the essays. More important to show sustaned involvement in a few activites over a period of time than a large number of activities ( quality over quantity)

Target US Schools: M7 in US would be target with your background: HBS, GSB, Wharton, Kellogg, MIT Sloan, HaaS, Booth (can skip due to focus on finance), CBS (can skip). Safety: Duke, Yale, ROss, Tuck, Darden --> I wouldn't go below those

International: Target: LBS, Insead. Safety: Oxford, Cambridge, IMD --> I wouldn't go below those

Well, thats my profile eval. Hope it helps. WIsh you the best smile

Thanks for reaching out @imitstartup Happy to! > ACADEMICS: B.Tech. Computer Science from one of the old IITs CGPA 7.55/10 GMAT - 770/800 Q50, V45, IR8 Solid GMAT! GPA above 7, so all good. I'm assuming you'll have good extra-curriculars as well since you're from one of the older IITs > WORK EXPERIENCE: Total 64 months (Dec 2020). All in India. >32 months as software engineer at F500 financial services company (campus placement). Fast promotion (1 of 3 in ~200 at same position with same experience), awards for Innovation and Excellence >3 months as remote software engineer at US based Machine Learning enterprise search startup >15 months as CTO(not founder) at a social e-commerce tech startup in Delhi This was probably the turning point in my career. Took a CTO role at an early stage startup as the only software engineer with an 80% pay cut and significant equity. Made a small, but noticeable dent in the influencer marketing driven e-commerce space, grew tech team to 5 (post the angel funding round), the startup raised close to $1 million funds over 2 rounds from reputed angels and VC. Quit due to differences in opinion with founders over significantly lesser spending on growing the tech team and improving the product and technology (than was agreed pre-funding). Personally lost 75% equity which was unvested at the time, as well as there was the opportunity cost of taking just bare minimum salary for over a year. Took a big financial hit while quitting - didn't have much cash left even though I had close to 4 years of experience in the "lucrative" software engineering job function - since I had also sponsored the engineering education of a younger first cousin (contributed $20k - almost 15 months of savings from the F500 job), but I didn't believe in building a tech company without necessary investment in the technology and hence quit. I am still very close to my direct reports though, since hiring them and working with them was an integral part of my first leadership experience, and try to perform the role of a career coach and mentor in whatever ways I can - networking, skills development, interview practice etc. Helped 2 of them land very well paid tech jobs at prestigious Indian startups during a tough Covid market when this one went bust a year after I had quit. >Current role - 14 months as VP Engineering at B2B Enterprise software startup Software specifically targeted for Pharmaceutical enterprises. Leading software engineering function at the startup, grew tech team to 8 people, delivered software for F500 (1) as well as top Indian (5) pharma clients. Startup raised over $1 million from a reputed VC. Solid workex. Is a bit on higher end, Generally the accepted range is 36 - 72months (although exceptions do exist). I'd highly encourage you to try and apply this year in R2 for MBA starting Aug 2021. Your story as CTO of social e-commerce tech startup in Delhi stands out. Giving up 75% equity to stand by your values take a lot of guts. This can be material for some very insightful essay stories. Curious if there are promotions in your roles at F500 and US based enterprise search startup or promotion in the current role. With your level of expereince AdCom will expect promotional path, ideally within the same company where you won trust of your superiors. >EXTRACURRICULARS: Post College >Member of Cricket team at first job, participated in various club/corporate matches Participated in a few scattered volunteer activities, nothing consistent College >Lead a top campus cultural club Editor at college technology magazine Taught underprivileged kids math and science for 1 year 4th(out of ~5000) at a national IT competition organized by Deloitte Social aspect seems a bit weak. Suggest you find a consistent theme for the essays. More important to show sustaned involvement in a few activites over a period of time than a large number of activities ( quality over quantity) **Target US Schools:** M7 in US would be target with your background: HBS, GSB, Wharton, Kellogg, MIT Sloan, HaaS, Booth (can skip due to focus on finance), CBS (can skip). Safety: Duke, Yale, ROss, Tuck, Darden --> I wouldn't go below those **International:** Target: LBS, Insead. Safety: Oxford, Cambridge, IMD --> I wouldn't go below those Well, thats my profile eval. Hope it helps. WIsh you the best :S
edited Dec 17 '20 at 1:57 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft